Announcing Incentive Payments for Local Forest Buffer Initiative

USDA – NRCS partners with efforts to establish forest buffers along streams in eight counties to improve the Duck River and Elk River Watersheds

2/1/2018 - The USDA Natural Resources Conservation Service (NRCS) will partner with local Soil Conservation Districts to install riparian forest buffers along eligible streams in the Duck River and Elk River Watersheds. Local conservation districts have acquired $218,500 in the Elk River watershed, and $142,000 in the Duck River watershed to incentivize voluntary conservation efforts. Incentive payments will be offered at a rate of $1,700 per acre plus additional cost-share to install riparian forest buffers along eligible streams. Additionally $50,000 in cost-share payments is available in each watershed to implement forest stand improvement practices that remove exotic and invasive plant species from existing forested riparian areas.  


The incentive is offered to landowners located in portions of Maury, Marshall, Bedford, Coffee, Giles, Lincoln, Moore, and Franklin Counties.


Interested landowners are encouraged to contact their local Soil Conservation District and NRCS office to learn more about this opportunity. A local conservationist will guide landowners through the application and planning process to ensure natural resource concerns are addressed and align with the goals of each individual landowner.


Incentive funding for this project was acquired through National Fish and Wildlife Foundation (NFWF) and Tennessee Valley Authority (TVA). U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service (USFWS) has provided cost-share funding for the removal of exotic and invasive plant species from existing forested riparian areas. NRCS and additional partner agencies including Tennessee Department of Agriculture (TDA), and U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service (USFWS) will offer cost-share payment opportunities to implement the forest buffer planting in addition to the $1,700 incentive payment per acre.


For more information please contact Rusty Walker at 363-2675 ext 3

# # #

USDA is an equal opportunity provider, employer and lender. To file a complaint of discrimination, write: USDA, Office of the Assistant Secretary for Civil Rights, Office of Adjudication, 1400 Independence Ave., SW, Washington, DC 20250-9410 or call (866) 632-9992 (Toll-free Customer Service), (800) 877-8339 (Local or Federal relay), (866) 377-8642 (Relay voice users).

“Voluntary Conservation Works!”