USDA NRCS Announces Deadline for FY 2017 EQIP Funding

to Help Producers Improve Natural Resources on Agricultural Lands in Tennessee

Applications due on Friday, November 18, 2016

NASHVILLE, November 9, 2016 Eligible producers in Tennessee who are interested in implementing conservation practices to improve natural resources on their agricultural land and private forestland have until Friday, November 18, 2016, to submit their completed application to be considered for fiscal year 2017 funding.

Funding is offered through the Natural Resources Conservation Service (NRCS) Environmental Quality Incentives Program (EQIP). Eligible applications that are received after November 18 will be considered during a later time and will be processed throughout the fiscal year, pending funding availability.

“We accept applications for EQIP on a continuous basis to help eligible producers improve natural resources on private working lands in Tennessee,” said TN NRCS State Conservationist Kevin Brown.The program places a priority on water quality, water quantity, and promotes soil health practices by offering financial and technical assistance to address these resource concerns on eligible agricultural land.”

EQIP is an incentives-based program that provides technical and financial assistance for conservation systems such as animal waste management facilities, irrigation system efficiency improvements, fencing, water supply development for improved grazing management, riparian protection, and wildlife habitat enhancement.

Completed applications will be accepted at all Tennessee NRCS county offices and USDA Service Centers. To locate an office near you, please click on this link: USDA Service Center. Applications must be received by 4:00 pm on Friday, November 18, 2016.

NRCS continually strives to put conservation planning at the forefront of its programs and initiatives. Conservation plans provide landowners with a voluntary comprehensive inventory and assessment of their resources and an appropriate start to improving the quality of soil, water, air, plants, and wildlife on their land.

Conservation planning services can also be obtained through a Technical Service Provider (TSP) who will develop a Conservation Activity Plans (CAP) to identify conservation practices needed to address a specific natural resource need. Typically, these plans are specific to certain kinds of land use such as transitioning to organic operations, grazing land, or forest land. CAPs can also address a specific resource need such as a plan for management of nutrients.

Although not required, producers who first develop a CAP for their land use, may use this information in applying for future implementation contracts.

To find out more about EQIP, fill out the eligibility forms, or obtain an application, visit our website.

# # #

USDA is an equal opportunity provider, employer and lender. To file a complaint of discrimination, write: USDA, Office of the Assistant Secretary for Civil Rights, Office of Adjudication, 1400 Independence Ave., SW, Washington, DC 20250-9410 or call (866) 632-9992 (Toll-free Customer Service), (800) 877-8339 (Local or Federal relay), (866) 377-8642 (Relay voice users).

“Voluntary Conservation Works!”